Food Technology Study Program Bina Nusantara University aimed at students who are interested to learn deeply on foods and their production processes, to fulfill United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals of (1) zero hunger, and (2) good health and well-being, by understanding the design and production of foods with health benefits. Food Technology Program concerns the application of biological, chemical, and engineering sciences to further understanding and to improve the quality, safety, nutritional, and economic value of food and beverages in industrial scale.
The Study Program is designed not only to meet the market needs but also to produce creative, innovative and productive graduates who are capable of food product innovation, with strong emphasis on engineering sciences, and providing graduates with entrepreneurship in food technology to meet global challenges on food security.
The Study Program links to national and multinational food industries and universities all over the world are strong, and there will be one year enrichment program, with five tracks namely, Study Abroad, Internship, Entrepreneurship, Research, and Community Development to enrich the theory obtained in campus.
Facilities in the Study Program include well-equipped laboratories, namely Food Biotechnology, Food Processing, Science (Chemistry/Biochemistry), Sensory, Physics, and Computer Laboratories.
A world-class Food Technology Program with IT-support for advanced food enterprise development.
The mission of Food Technology Department is to contribute to the global community through the provision of world-class education by:
- Providing a solid educational experience through the diffusion and integration of knowledge of Food Technology, and services to food industries.
- Educating students from a diverse background in the fundamental skills, knowledge and practice of Food Technology in order to prepare them for a position in global industries and continue for advanced degrees in Food Technology or related disciplines.
- Providing research and professional services to streamline and optimize operations which contribute to the enhancement of the quality of life.
- Acknowledging all talents that positively contribute to the quality of life of Indonesians and the international community
The objectives of the program are:
- To prepare students with a solid foundation of knowledge and understanding of Food Technology theory that will be beneficial to contribute in International Food Industry.
- To provide students with the methodological, and computational skills to operate effectively and efficiency through direct involvement in problem solving required in research at Food Technology.
- To provide students with information, communication and negotiation skills, and understanding of contemporary issues into practice in marketing of Food product.
After completing the study, graduates are:
- Able to apply knowledge in core area of food science and technology;
- Able to design methods in producing safe and high-quality food product;
- Able to demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication;
- Able to demonstrate professionalism and leadership skills;
- Able to propose the solution for the problems related to food and create innovated food products;
- Able to apply functional food and food packaging knowledges to enhance the values in innovated food products;
- Able to apply interdisciplinary knowledge and skills in developing alternative solutions for problem-solving.
Prospective Career of the Graduates
- Food Industry: formulator, production, analyst, quality control, quality assurance, R&D in various national and multinational food industries.
- Food processing system designer/manager.
- Food safety management system designer/manager.
- Food product innovator.
- Researcher in food processing or food technology to support the Government or industry.
- Food marketer
- Regulatory affairs specialist
- Analyst in food policy, and research to develop food industry,nutrition, and food quality standards
- Consultant in food industry, product formulation, food safety, sanitation.
- Food Entrepreneur.
- Business Development and Brand marketing in food industries
- IT system/Software designer in supporting food processing.
Greeting from Head of Food Technology Department
Department of Food Technology, BINUS University is under the Faculty of Engineering. Established in February 27, 2014. Department of Food Technology, BINUS University is not only the right place to gain the knowledge, expertise and professionalism in food processing industry, but also a suitable place to develop creativity and innovation in the food business and entrepreneurship. Students complete a rigorous scientific curriculum refer to Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) competencies and Perhimpunan Ahli Teknologi Pangan Indonesia (PATPI) recommendation to meet IFT education standard, namely: food chemistry and analysis, food safety and microbiology, food processing and engineering, applied food science, food biochemistry and nutrition, to prepare the students well for leadership positions at the numerous job opportunities available in the food industry, such as quality control, production management and new product development, food related to public health issues, as well as in dealing with various food related policy and regulations at government institutions. Our curriculum is also enriched with Information Technology supporting Food Processing, Food Technology and Food safety system, soft skills such as leadership and entrepreneurship.
The faculty members have deep expertise in the areas of food chemistry, food microbiology, food processing, food engineering, food safety, food analysis, functional foods, food biochemistry and nutrition. They are actively involved in teaching and research covering a wide range of topics relevant to present-day issues in food technology and nutrition.
Our teaching and learning activities as well as research programs are supported adequately with modern facilities of laboratories, library, IT system, designed to response the challenge of modern food industries and food business requirements to support food sovereignty in Indonesia.
The Food Science & Technology of BINUS University is a dynamic institution and responsive to development issues of outer world. We welcome any kind of academic collaboration at national, regional and international level to provide and adopt international education program in Food Technology.
Be with us to feed the world with tasty, healthy, nutritious and safe food…